Stormwater Permit Requirements

How to Determine if you Need a Stormwater Permit

Sites that Require a Garland County Stormwater Permit

  • Any Project sites, regardless of size, that have the potential to pollute Waters of the State (such as stream, creek, or lake-front)
  • Sites greater than one (1) but less than five (5) disturbed acres OR Part of a Larger Common Plan (Subdivision) regardless of size.
  • All Commercial Sites

Note: Sites less than 5 acres are not required to permit through ADEQ.

Sites that Require both ADEQ and Garland County Stormwater Permits

  • Sites greater than five (5) but less than ten (10) disturbed acres.
  • Sites greater than ten (10) disturbed acres.

Note: Garland County will not issue Stormwater permits on Project sites larger than 5 acres unless a permit from ADEQ has been issued.

Garland County Requirements

Note: A project that meets the above criteria should begin a permitting process with the Department of Emergency Management (DEM) for addressing.

  • Must meet ADEQ Stormwater permit requirements.
  • Submit Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP) to Garland County Environmental Inspections Division for review prior to land disturbance.
  • Post visible to public, ADEQ Automatic Site Coverage Notice (Small Sites) or ADEQ Notice of Coverage (Medium or Large Sites).
  • Keep a signed copy of your SWPPP on site and update it regularly.
  • Correctly install a rain gauge, solid waste dumpster and maintain Best Management Practices (BMP’s) for erosion and sediment control.
  • Properly train ALL involved contractors and inspectors.
  • Perform Inspections every 7 days or within 24 hours of a half inch or more rain event.
  • Never discharge muddy water, sediment, or other pollutants from the job site.
  • Upon final stabilization contact Garland County Environmental Inspections Division for final inspection for permit closure.

If you have determined that you need a Small Site Permit from the criteria and requirements please fill out and submit the SWPPP Template and ADEQ Small Site Automatic Coverage and email to

If you are going to disturb greater than 5 acres you are required to permit with ADEQ first, those templates are found at ADEQ's Website

If you have any questions or are unsure if you are required to have a permit please feel free to contact our office.